Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am having trouble with a co-worker who is very deceiveing.

Customer Question
She had recorded a verbal...
I am having trouble with a co-worker who is very deceiveing. She had recorded a verbal arguement, which was caused by her going thru my desk when I stepped out of the office. Additionally, the owner is aware of her behavior and I feel that they are playing both sides of the fence. They made a statement that the company is looking for other avenues. What should I do. I feel like they are looking and searching for something to hold against me.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/17/2010
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
What is your specific legal question, please?

Is there a law against someone recording a conversation without my conscent?

No, it is not illegal in New Jersey for a person to record a conversation that they are a party to without the other party's consent,

How can you protect yourself from a hostile work environment

The actions that you have described do not constitute a hostile work environment as defined by the law. A hostile work environment is when you are being discriminated against based on your age, race, gender, etc.

What you describe is simply a personality conflict and all you can do is report any major conflict to HR and in the meantime, keep to yourself and try not to instigate any problems with the other employee.
It has already been reported to the management/hr department and nothing is being done? The owner has eevn advised me that he will be firing my co-worker and he has yet to do so. I do keep to myself but unfortunately my co-worker makes sarcastic remarks and chooses to get a rise out of me so that she can play the inncocent victim. I don't want to give in to the situation and quit.
It is up to the discretion of the employer as to whether or not they choose to take any action since it is just a personality conflict and not a legal issue. If you want to keep the job, you will need to learn to not let the co-worker get a rise out of you. You need to just ignore it and do you job and nothing else. Otherwise, both of you could get fired.