Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was an At Will Employee at a company with over 800 workers…

Customer Question
I was an "At Will...
I was an "At Will Employee" at a company with over 800 workers and I was terminated for stealing, which I didn't do. I was with the company for over 20 years and had an impeccable work record with them. I did put in 3 different times to move up to Supervisor and was passed over for someone with less experience, knowledge, and a difference race then me. I was told that if I went back to collage for a degree I would move up. I did as I was told and it took me four years to do it. Not even 6 months later I was told I was being terminated for stealing. Now I just received a letter from unemployment that I have to pay back the money that I received, because the company said I was a theft and all the benefits are stopped. Is there anything that I can do about this.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/16/2010
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Thank you for your question. If you believe that you were terminated due to your race, age, sex, religion, national origin or a disability (the "protected classes") under the Civil Rights Act, you can file a charge with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, or EEOC (www.eeoc.gov). The instructions on how to do this are on their website. The EEOC will investigate your claim. The EEOC will then issue you a "Notice of Right to Sue" letter which you need in order to bring a lawsuit. There are strict time limits for filing EEOC claims, therefore, you should not hesitate in doing so. You may also wish to speak with an employment lawyer regarding a possible wrongful termination case. Obviously, I do not know all the facts here, but it's possible you were a victim of your race (losing a promotion to someone of a different race who is less qualified) and possibly even let go due to age.

Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you have a subscription or deposit). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please click on REPLY (not "Re-list") and I will be happy to assist you further.

Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.
Would I beable to file a Defamation over this?
Possibly, yes. Defamation requires the publication (e.g., the making of) a false statement to a third party. Therefore, if your former employer says to a prospective new employer "Oh, we fired him because he was a thief!" you could have a claim. However, you would also have to show that such a statement was made either negligently or intentionally, that it was in fact, false, and that it caused you "damages" (which I think you've already established anyway with the loss of your job).

Why I ask about that was because they also put that on the termination letter that they gave me. Also I am a white man and heard that it is very hard to fight it base on race
Publication of the letter to you isn't enough to sue for defamation -it would have to be made to someone else as well, like a co-worker, or a new prospective employer.

Also, the EEOC allows for race discrimination cases to be brought even if you are white and the other person is a different race. The burden you must prove, in any such case, regardless of what race you were, is that the discriminatory action, such as being passed over for promotion, or termination, was directly related to your race. For example, you might be able to prove that you were far more qualified for the supervisor job than the other person, and that other people in your company with similar qualifications were always made supervisors, but when the job came down to between you and a unqualified person who just happened to be "x" race, the job was given to them. That is certainly strong circumstantial evidence of race discrimination, and the burden would then be back on the employer to prove they had good reason to promote that person over you.