Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a truck driver who brought a safety concern to my company.

Customer Question
I am a local driver...
I am a truck driver who brought a safety concern to my company. I am a local driver in Fayetteville NC. Yesterday it was 97 degrees with 85 percent humidity, the in cab temp in my truck reached 134.7 degrees which pushed me to the point of heat exhaustion very quickly. When I brought this concern to my company they told me that this is the way it is and the air conditioning will not ever be fixed in that truck. Our company has around 215 trucks, out of those only 2 do no have operational a/c. If any other truck in our company has an a/c problem it is fixed asap. After bringing this concern to my comany I was told that i just can't handle my job and I was let go. Sweat pouring in the eyes of a driver who has an 80,000 gross weight vehicle that travels on city streets in the public isn't safe. Drivers running up and down these roads under heat stroke conditions isn't safe. I need help with this matter please. It seems to be clear cut discrimination to me.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/16/2010
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. what can I answer for you?
Do i have a case? Can i file suit against them? They can't get away with things like this
If employer so retaliated you can file a complaint with the state labor department. You can also have a lawyer negotiate severance and/or reinstatement.
How can i get an employment lawyer. Every office i call says leave a voicemail, and i never recieve a call back.
Try www.martindale.com as well as www.lawyers.com
If i sue them wghat can they do to get out of it? Am i going to need witnesses? What things can i do to help ensure i win?
documents and witnesses confirming what happened and their motives including e-mails would be helpful and can also later be obtained by subpoena.
Are lawyers able to do these kind of cases "we collect when you win" ? Being as though i just lost my job I do not have alot of money for legal fees up front.
Yes, it is called contingency fee basis and that is a common arrangement. Kindly accept my answer.