Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have an FLMA question. I am currently under doctors care…

Customer Question
I have an FLMA question...
I have an FLMA question. I am currently under doctors care and the company I worked for laid me off after 9 weeks. They had given me FMLA paper work saying I would have sort term disability benifits until June 22nd. However instead of paying me for the last 3 weeks of my short term disability before I went on long term they eliminated my position. Is this legal? should I consult an attorney? Am I entitled to those 3 weeks of pay?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/15/2010
Employment Lawyer: AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney replied 8 years ago
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney

Hi jacustomer,

FMLA does not protect us from general lay offs, but it does protect us from being laid off BECAUSE we took FMLA. For this reason, I would speak to a local attorney who can procede to determine if this was an FMLA based termination. Pay him for a consult fee if you must - they may be hesitating because they think you are looking for them to work for free. You can also file your FMLA complaint with the DOL without an attorney and I would definitely do so if I didn't opt for the attorney.

As for the short term disability being cancelled - this would also be a no no if your termination was illegal (via FMLA). - however, if the termination turns out to be permitted (say, they laid off your whole department, and clearly your lay off was not due to FMLA taking), then the short term disability contract will dictate if it continues after termination or if you are no longer eligible if terminated. You must read that document with a find tooth comb. It certainly makes it appear that your employer had a greater incentive to get rid of you since you were drawing that STD and were planning on drawing the LTD. Now, whether that is the reason, we don't know that yet.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.