Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was sent home for a medical reason that no employee could…

Customer Question
I was sent home for...
I was sent home for a medical reason that no employee could have caught at work. It was an STD. I talked to my gynocologist and gave me specific reasons why this couldn't have been spread at work such as I would have to have sex at work. I sent this information to my boss. It offended her. When she did speak to me, she said: "I would be totally embarassed if I had sent that email. So if you want to look for another job, I support that.". She ten went on stating how hurt she was by that email. I stated I was sorry in the conversation for sending that email and asked what I could do to amend the relationship. She said she didn't know. After further discussion, she agreed to be more conversant. I agreed to be less aggressive. Yesterday, she pulled me aside and asked. "I see that you asked time off for a private appointment. Are you looking for another job? I said I didn't feel comfortable answering. She pressed for more information. Is this legal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/15/2010
Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

While your boss/supervisor has the legal right to ask you why you want time off, you are not obligated under the law to say why. It sounds as though she was really just trying to determine if you are preparing to leave your employment there and that is a valid question to ask. Again however, you are lot obligated to tell her.

I wish you well in 2010.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Is there a link you could provide as a reference?

Good morning,

A link for what specifically. There is no "law" which specifically recites that employees do not have to discuss their future employment plans with their employer. Your rights to privacy stem from a whole body of law and there is no one link that will be a good reference for you. You might google the following phrase: "Right to privacy law"

Again, there is no law prohibiting your employer from asking you to divulge whether you are looking for another job. You simply are under no legal obligation to answer that question if you do not want to.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug