Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I wish to take my vacation from October 14th - Oct 26th. This…

Customer Question
I wish to take my...
I wish to take my vacation from October 14th - Oct 26th. This trip is overseas to meet with family. My family will be there from the 16th-23rd, which I have not seen in seven years + it is my 50th b-day treat. It takes two days to get to my destination + two days to get back to the US, my employer will not allow me to leave until Saturday 16th.
My employer has allowed other employees to take time of during a time when it was mandatory to work. Their reasoning is because it is during a promotional event which comes around three times in the year. My reasoning is personal-birtdays only come around once a year especially a big one. What are my rights if any on getting this worked out?
Thank you for your assistance.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/15/2010
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Do you have an employment contract?

No contract.

With no employment contract, you are considered an at-will employee. What that means is that you serve at the will of your employer. That means t hat you do have neither a legal or contractual to take a vacation. It is completely up to your employer as to whether they want to grant you permission to take vacation leave.