Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In AZ, a right to work state and an at-will employer. I want…

Customer Question
In AZ, a right to...
In AZ, a right to work state and an at-will employer. I want to lay off a non-performer and hire someone in his place - although no productivity data is available to support claim - legal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/15/2010
Employment Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer

Please Note: I receive no salary or hourly wage. I do not get paid anything at all unless you click Accept. Clicking Accept simply applies your current deposit to this question and will not result in additional charges to your credit card. If you are a monthly subscriber to JustAnswer, clicking accept does not cost you anything additional. Please respect the Honor System and click Accept when you are pleased with the quality of the response so that I am compensated for responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

Arizona employees are at-will employees unless there is a contract to the contrary. This means that an employee may typically be terminated for any reason at any time. However, Arizona recognizes all three exceptions to at-will employment. Essentially, this means that company policies can potentially create contracts with employees and that there is a duty of good faith and fair dealing in the employment relationship.

While terminating an employee for failure to perform is typically acceptable, it's important to understand that failure to show the employee wasn't performing may give an appearance that a duty of good faith and fair dealing was breached. Accordingly, because those two factors could expose the company to liability, you may find it prudent to have your attorney evaluate the details of any company policies and the circumstances of termination.

If you'd like to learn and read more about at-will employment and its exceptions, you can do so at the following link.
http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2001/01/art1full.pdf

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,
T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).

Edited by T-USA on 6/15/2010 at 12:26 AM EST