Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Im a correctional officer and had been assaulted 3 times in…

Customer Question
I'm a correctional officer and...
I'm a correctional officer and had been assaulted 3 times in about a year. I've been on workers comp for jsut under 6 months. My Workers comp benefits have been cancelled..i was told friday that they would stop paying me on monday. I've been out for ptsd and have been seeing a psych every week. They say they have me on video golfing and "having a good Time". Everything i had been out doing, I was doing because my psychologist told me to do these things so that i didnt stay in the house all day. "Try to get out and lead a normal life", he said. My work pulled me in and said the state will file fraud charges against me unless i come into work on monday. I called and told them i cant until i atleast speak to a lawyer and now im pretty sure they made a meeting tomorrow where they will terminate me. what can i do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/15/2010
Employment Lawyer: AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney replied 8 years ago
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney

Dear tc,

You need to get a workers compensation lawyer immediately - when WC is not giving you what you are entitled to, that is when you bring in the lawyer - often they work on contingency, so it likely won't cost you anything - certainly not for the consult.

Also, if I were you, i would file a grievance, as your Union has a responsiblity, most likely, pursuant to your contract, to address your concerns, even if they would find that they can't help you. So get proactive on that as well.

Once you get the WC attorney, he can get the proof that you were medically advised to get out, play golf, engage in relaxation activities - your ailment is mental, not physical, so unless you falsified statements indicating you can not leave the house, this should be helpful - and will certainly help avoid fraud charges. I would fight fire with fire, if I was in the right - but you must have a legal mind look at ALL the proofs, medicals, etc., that which we can't do here obviously, to determine what evidence supports your contentions and which don't, if any.

Good luck.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.