Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

hi, i have been an employee at a company for 2 yrs and have…

Customer Question
hi, i have been an...
hi, i have been an employee at a company for 2 yrs and have not reeived a raise. I got the certifications my boss asked me to get and still never received my raise. I also get talked down to every week an assigned to the worst job sites because I ask for a raise. I am a colege student and they are well aware of this and do not make it easiar for me to attend school when I have to. What steps should I take to being able to quit and collect unemployment? They also have many legal issues and make me sign stuff all the time what should i do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/14/2010
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Do you have an employment contract?
no, however in the past they have had me sign things just last week they had me sign a memorandum saying if anyone refuses a job they will be suspended without any pay for 40 hrs and not to worry about any other employer.
Without an employment contract, you are considered an at-will employee meaning that unless you were a promised a raise in writing when you were hired, your employer is not required to give you a rease. If you quit, you would be ineligible for unemployment benefits.
what steps can I then take to quit but still be eligible to collect unemployment? Can I somehow use the fact that they treat me very unfairly. I have been there for two years and have seniority over about 5 out of 8 employees and the people who have been hired after and have only been working there two three months are treated better and have more opportunities at overtime than I do just because i try to manage a full time school schedule as well, which they knew when they hired me. I made all of my classes to fit their needs and they feel like they have done me a favor meanwhile I worked the same if not better then the other.
No, you cannot quit and collect unemployment. Being treated unfairly by your employer is not illegal. Thus, if you quit, it would still make you ineligible for unemployment benefits.