Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated recently for cause. I am non-union employee…

Customer Question
I was terminated recently for...
I was terminated recently for cause. I am non-union employee in Minnesota. FMLA prior I was seeing a healthcare provider on a continuing basis and still am. I was wondering if I could get short term disability through my employer if my healthcare provider sends clincial summary notes regarding my mental disability to my employer sponsored insurance company, stating, because of my disability I should have not been working in the last two weeks of my employment, before I was terminated? The short term benefit contract say's my coverage will end on that date if I was laid off or terminated. I still have healthcare benefits until the end of June. Could I still get short term disability benefits described above?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/14/2010
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Unless you are alleging that the employer violated the law somehow, either by having you work the two weeks you are referring to or by their termination, then I don't see any way that you would qualify for STD benefits. However, without reading the policy itself, I couldn't say for sure.