Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My husband was injured in Feb, couldnt work for a week because…

Customer Question
My husband was injured in...
My husband was injured in Feb, couldn't work for a week because of the surgery, after which, he couldn't move his arm for a month and currently still under physical therapy. Last week he received 60 days performance warning letter saying his performance in the last 3 months was not satisfied and he will be terminated in 60 days if he can not show improvement. Is there any laws/regulations can protect him from termination please?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/14/2010
Employment Lawyer: Jack R., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
How many employees at the company, and how long has your husband been working there ?
GRACE is a world wild chemistry company http://www.grace.com/About/LocationResult.aspx?State=MD
He has been working at the MD location for 4 years after he graduated from Georgetown MBA program.

They may be in violation of the Family Medical Leave Act which provides protection for employees who have medical problems that force them from work. Under Federal law an employee has up to 12 weeks leave they can take without fear of losing their job. Your husband should speak with HR at GRACe to make sure he is placed on FMLA. This will protect him from any negative reviews. A doctor's statement i required. HR department must provide the information to participate.

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

What's the number/name of the federal law you referred to? My husband signed a non-competition covenant with the company. Will this effect him looking for other opportunities?

It is called the Family Medical Leave Act. here is a link to the department of Labor Site: http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/index.htm

A non compete clause can impede your husbands job search for similar employment.