Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a physician assistant working in a er in az. My contract…

Customer Question
I am a physician assistant...
I am a physician assistant working in a er in az. My contract req a 60 day notice both ways for termination of said contract. The er group of md's has decided to use md's vs pa's in the er starting in July. I was approached last night at work and told that if I take 2 weeks severance they will keep things low keyed, clearly telling me that my good refernces in the future hang on my accepting the deal. though nn doc's have conplained of my performance, in fact the last medical director said i was one of the best her had ever worked with, this doc's says he has a "stack" of charts with medical errors. The md sees every patient I see and signs off on the chart. I would think something would be said at the time. I want them to honor the contract or just settle with reasonable rate without my worrying about some clandestine character assasination
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/14/2010
Employment Lawyer: JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
You are entitled to the compensation due under the contract and can file a civil suit if needed to recover this amount. You have no obligation to accept any lessor amount. The employer cannot make any false statements regarding your employment and most likely will not give you a bad reference out of concern for a defamation suit. This employer is attempting to negotiate. You may want to submit a written statement advising that you expect the contract terms to be complied with. If you are concerned with future employer contacting your current employer, then consider negotiating a settlement to include protection in this regard.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.

thank you, I figured that would be the case, tell me would this be a hostile work enviroment for the next two weeks, seems if I am so worthless in the ER i shouldn't be there, They may set me up for failure.

This workplace will be hostile in some sense, but not the type that is actionable in employment law matters. Hostile work environment claims are a type of illegal discrimination claim applicable certain discrimination such as race, religion or sexual harassment.

Thank you