Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Hi, I work for the postal service and received a reduction…

Customer Question
Hi, I work for the...
Hi, I work for the postal service and received a reduction in force letter. I was detailed to a higher level position for four years. Prior to the effective date of the reduction in force I put in for a promotion to the position I was detailed into for four years. I found out I was the only employee who was interviewed for the position. I was not given the promotion, and asked to talk to the deciding official as to why I was not selected. This person refused to meet with me. I put my request in writing and they still refused. This deciding official was also on a detail as the manager. One month later, a day before my vacation started and the last day I ever saw them again, they went back to their job they issued me discipline stating my performance was bad. I filed an EEO what is your opinion. I filed age discrimination.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/14/2010
Employment Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

hi

so you feel you were not given the promotion because of your age - how old are you?

was someone else given the promotion?

Yes. What happened is there were 2 vacancies. I was not selected even though I was qualified. The positions then were posted again for the second phase and 2 employees that had not put in for the positions when I did, requested to be laterally placed into the positions which was accepted.

hi

thank you for that information. if the other two were under the age of 40, then you have a basis. if they were above 40 then no because age discrimination begins at age 40 and that will be the USPS argument as to how if is not discrimination