Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In the year 2009 I had stroke, I was out of work for a period…

Customer Question
In the year 2009 I...
In the year 2009 I had stroke, I was out of work for a period of eleven weeks. I returned to work Jan 3, 2010. One May 15th 2010, I had another stroke. My doctor has requested that I take the full six months for recovery. My employer has informed me that I had only one week left under the FMLA act and that they will be replacing me in my position and there is not guarantee that I may have position when I return. When does the the twevle month period begin again??? Are they forcing me to return to work?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/14/2010
Employment Lawyer: legaleagle, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
The 12 months start the first day you are out on FMLA and you do not get another 12 weeks until those first 12 months have passed. So if out June 1 2009, for up to 12 weeks, then you can not get another 12 weeks of protection until June 1, 2010.