Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have worked in the same health care setting for 25 years.

Customer Question
In a little over a...
I have worked in the same health care setting for 25 years. In a little over a year I can take early retirement. A couple of years ago I transferred to another area due to a manager. She took over the floor and is still there. There have been many people that left this unit because of her. I stood up to her, documenting incidents to Human Resources which shall we say didn't help the situation and they didn't help the situation. A manager can be mean, degrade and intimidate, but that in itself is not against the law

The unit where I work fill in areas where extra help is needed. I am still a full-time employee with full time benefits, but recently it seems , our hours are being cut. I have no idea if others hours are being cut as much as mine, and though I am the oldest in the unit (and company) I don't believe it is age-related- I should work 6 days but sometimes 4 days is what I get & have had to use my supplemental time- What should I do? I feel it is a money-saving action for them
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/13/2010
Employment Lawyer: HPLawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
HPLawyer
HPLawyer, Lawyer
What is it that you want to accomplish?

Also, why do you feel like it is a money-saving action for the company? Is it because it will reduce any payout they will have to provide you for early retirement, or for some other reason?

To be honest, I am not sure. In my life I never had to worry about my future. .Oklahoma State has Partial Unemployment benefits which I may be eligible, but would probably be fired for doing such. I could schedule more days on the schedule but since I already schedule myself 7 days, my whole week would be tied up. On my job a second job is impossible.

.If they would offer me an early retirement or severance package that was fair, I would jump in a minute. My yearly salary for the last 2 years has been $95,000-$103,000- but with the way it is going it isn't going to be nearly that much. I wasn't sure if companies ever did this.

I am sorry I didn't clarify the previous question as why I feel it is a money saving action on the part of the company. To be honest I am a hospital nurse. Since the signing of the Health Care Reform bill I have had a major cut in hours. Talking to another nurse in my unit she & her husband noted the same thing. On top of it my hospital has been hiring loads of new nurses which puzzles me since supposedly there is not enough work. Some of the nurses in my unit schedule themselves 9-10 days in a 2-week period knowing they will be cancelled, but it does not guarantee hours. Some of them are just prn staff, no number of hours guaranteed but like I said I transferred as a full time employee. To take on another job is impossible and my resentment is high since I would not have transferred if the manager's treatment of me and other staff in the previous area had been addressed. I plan to look into Partial unemployment benefits until I can plan what to do- I am afraid that action will threaten my career . I could quit but as an employee of 25 years and one of the older (I am just 53) employees I am tired of rolling over and taking it. a fair severance package is what I would prefer, but where I work that isn't going to happen- Also, though I see nothing written, there has been many statements flying around the reason they have hired so many new nurses is so that the floors would not have to use my area-In fact, I was told on one of the floors the manager stated this out. Nurses on the floors are getting lst choice on extra shifts when it is hard for me to get a full week.