Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I recently accepted an offer from a competitor to my current…

Customer Question
I recently accepted an offer...
I recently accepted an offer from a competitor to my current employer. My company covers a wide range of products and has multiple divisions to support those product groups. The offer I received is from a competitor for a different divsion that I work in selling a different product and the customer base has minimal overlap. I did sign a non-compete within my division that contains two paragraphs of concern...one indicates that I cannot market similar product to the ones specifc to my division, but the other is more broad and states that any customer or identified prospect of the company within the territory of any branch I have worked in within the last 12 months may not be called on by me regardless of my relationship/knowledge or lack of for the account. Is this broad statement acceptable? It seems I could cross markets and still have issues and restrict my right to work in any job field.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/12/2010
Employment Lawyer: JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
It appears that the broad portion of the agreement limits you from selling to any customer or prospective customer for a period of one year. In some situations, noncompete agreements are not enforceable due to being overly broad. The general rule will be if the restriction protects the legitimate business interest of your company then it is permissible. Being restricted from calling on customers and prospective customers for a one year period would probably serve to protect legitimate business interest. This restriction would probably be enforceable based on the information presented.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.
Relist: Answer quality.
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
The previous attorney gave you a correct answer.