Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

i have a class one felony, possession of a controlled substance…

Customer Question
i have a class one...
i have a class one felony, possession of a controlled substance from 1989.No trouble before or after. Do I have to disclose that info. on a job application? Also I have since gotten my accredition from the Alzheimer Foundation as a dementia care provider. I have been a caregiver for the last 7 years but always worked in private homes and have never had a criminal backround check. I now am considering working part-time for an agency. which will probably do a backround check. I've been told when I was considering taking C.N.A. classes that I could get clearance by the State Policeto work in this field,How? I live in Il.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/12/2010
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
When you say that you have a class one felony, are you saying that you were convicted of a felony?
yes in 1989
You would therefore have to disclose it if asked. In other words, if the application asks if you have ever been convicted of a felony you would have to answer yes. If they ask if you have ever been convicted of a felony in the past 10 years, then you could answer no.

I know I cant get my record sealed or expunged, but how do i get around this to be able to

pass a criminal back-round check to work for an agency or even become a licensed R.N.

If you cannot get your record sealed or expunged, it will always show up. There is nothing that you can do to have it not show up in a criminal background check. Sorry.

What about getting clearance from the il.state police? I went to inquire at a school in Westmont,Il.called CMK staffing and home health agency,I told them of my record & was told "We will send you to the Il State Police dept. in Blue Island,Il.to get you clearance to work in the medical field" I:m assuming it involves fingerprinting and a CQH to see if I've been convicted of any other felony's since April 16th 1991which was my release date parole and all' Im trying to see if this is something I can do on my own, also confirm that this is true about the "clearance" first of all,and third Will this even be a legal issue? Is there any law stating a convicted felon can not work in any capacity in the medical field or are there any limits as to what I can do in this field? I have excellent references from the private families I've worked for and furthered my education as far as taking classes and getting my accreditation as a "dementia care provider" but working for private parties and working for an state licensed agency are two different things.Am I just " spinning my wheels"? will this conviction put a stop to me trying to persue a career as a employed medical tech. or a nurse?