Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Im concerned about something I did today at work. While listening…

Customer Question
I'm concerned about something I...
I'm concerned about something I did today at work. While listening to my ipod a person that reports to me wondered why i was laughing at a song. I let him and another associate listen to the song without thinking. It's a funny song, but it was definitely unprofessional (the title is Internet Porn and it's a guy talking about what he saw on the internet. No dirty words, but used the phrase "girl on girl on girl on guy on sheep") They definitely were laughing along as well. After thinking about it I asked if they were offended and both said no (this in front of several other associates I am reponsible for).

So my question is, if they decided to go to HR with this, could I be terminated?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/12/2010
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Do you have an employment contract?
I work for a financial firm, and I've been there for 14 years, so I don't really remember. Probably. I remember signing something way back then about not suing them but going through mediation.
An employment contract is a written agreement stating that you would work for them for a certain period of time and when that time is over, you would sign a new employment contract. Chances are that you don't have an employment contract since very few employees have one. Generally, only very high level employees will have an employment contract.

That being said, you would thus be an at-will employee which means that you can be terminated for any reason or no reason at all. The exception is that you cannot be terminated based on a discriminatory reason. Therefore, since you asked whether you could be terminated, the answer is yes since you can be terminated at any time for any reason,.

If your co-workers were not offended, chances are that they won't go to HR. However, in the future, it would be wise not to engage in potentially offensive behavior in the workplace.

Please let me know if this answers your question. If it does not, feel free to ask me for clarification. If it does answer your question, please remember to hit the ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for taking the time to research and respond to your questions.
How long would they have to go to HR and still be taken seriously. For example, do I need to worry about this coming back on me for months do you think?
They can go to HR at any time they wish. Of course, the longer they wait, it makes it hard to prove that they were offended since if you are offended by something, you would generally report it immediately.

MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Thank you. Now maybe I can sleep tonight! I won't be making that mistake again!
You're most welcome :)