Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Four months ago my husband was hired by a federal agency. At…

Customer Question
Four months ago my husband...
Four months ago my husband was hired by a federal agency. At the time he was hired we were living in San Diego, Ca. Once he was hired his orders were to go to El Centro Ca., which is about 120 miles away. My job is in San Diego and we cannot afford for me to quit, and I have not been able to find any work here in El Centro. I have been commuting at least three days a week. My job does let me work from home, but only two days a week. My question is, if I quit, given the situation, can I get unemployement???
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/11/2010
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
There is no set rule about travel distance and whether or not a certain distance allows quitting and receiving unemployment.

That being said, it has been found sufficient to have to travel even as little as 35 to 40 miles more than you previously had to. Your situation of an additional 120 miles is going to be more than sufficient, in that respect.