Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Just got laid off after 3 and half years working they said…

Customer Question
Just got laid off after...
Just got laid off after 3 and half years working they said it was performance ???

all of the sudden was I good for 3 years and 5 months

They gave me a document to sign if I do they will give me 5 weeks severence
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/11/2010
Employment Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Please clarify:
What is your question?
Thanks!

First of the whole thing seems fishy 3 and 1/2 hear performance does that make sense

if my perfromance wasn't acceptable why did it take 3 and 1/2 years

Seconf the HR person said it would be a good idea if a lawyer read over the documents

We cannot review documents on JustAnswer. That is a legal service and for that purpose, you will need to retain an attorney.

However, we can answer questions.

Do you have a question?

Thanks!

my question then is do I have any legal recourse based on what I just said my gut feeling is anybody can fire anybody just because the don't like something about them

Please Note: I receive no salary or hourly wage. I do not get paid anything at all unless you click Accept. Clicking Accept simply applies your current deposit to this question and will not result in additional charges to your credit card. If you are a monthly subscriber to JustAnswer, clicking accept does not cost you anything additional. Please respect the Honor System and click Accept when you are pleased with the quality of the response so that I am compensated for responding to your question.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

Sadly, an at-will employee may be terminated at any time for any reason or for no reason at all. However, an employer may expose itself to liability if the employer fails to abide by an employment contract or a company policy. Further, an employer may not engage in unlawful discrimination (age, race, gender, etc.).

Unfortunately, at-will employment is unfair to employees and gives employers a great deal of discretion in terminations. You can read more about at-will employment and its exceptions at the following link.
http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2001/01/art1full.pdf

Please remember to click Accept and leave Positive Feedback so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. Clicking accept does
not close the question and you are still welcome to ask follow-up questions if you need clarification.

Sincerely,
T-USA

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at
Lawyers.com, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).