Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I recently applied for a position within the University I am…

Customer Question
I recently applied for a...
I recently applied for a position within the University I am currently employed. Several factors led me to believe the University had already decided who was to get the job, but I decided to apply anyway. Factors included: job description was written for minimum vs maximum level of education (i.e., MA vs PhD), specific number of years of experience listed (i.e., minimum of 10) within the area of employment (Student Affairs)--few people within the University would meet these criteria, opening of applications done at the end of term/last day faculty would be on campus and late on Friday afternoon, closing date for applicants within four working days of announcement, applicant announced as "new" Vice President of Student Affairs at faculty meeting, finally the search committee chair is a subordinate of "acting" applicant. The acting person (other applicant) makes $98K -I believe thought was to move him up, close assistant position--which he now fills and save 100K. What to do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/11/2010
Employment Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Please clarify:
Can you narrow down your question?
What are you wanting to know?

Thanks!
Question is whether I have cause for legal action given the process was "apparently" established to insure only one potential outcome--that the acting director would be only one qualified for the position as posted--although others (myself included) have higher credentials and experience in the areas falling under this position. I "perceive" the process to be done--as is happening more often in higher ed--for the university to move a lower credenitaled/payed person into the position which then creates a vacancy in the assitant position--which is then eliminated in order to same 100K.

Board Of Regents indicaters I can ask for an appeal, but the people I would appeal it to are the very persons who set it up in the first place. This is the second time I have applied for a position at this University where people with far less qualifications were hired. I know this sounds like sour grapes, but this type of thing is rampant here--who you know--not what you know or have done.

I guess my question is really under what part of employment law does this type of thing fall--if any??? I'm sure I'm not the only one with this experience.

Thank you
Relist: Other
I never received an answer
Employment Lawyer: JB Umphrey, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. From the facts you've described, you are not being discriminated against because of your age (over 40), disability, genetic information, national origin, pregnancy, race/color, religion, or gender. Is my understanding correct?