Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I would like to file a deceleration judgment against my previous…

Customer Question
I would like to file...
I would like to file a deceleration judgment against my previous employer for interfering with my livelihood and for harassing me and my current employer with lawsuit regarding a non compete I signed in 2007 that led to my termination yesterday. I do not believe that I am in violation of the non compete agreement based on what I do now and what I was doing before. The geographical scope is also VERY broad and at the time of me signing the document Texas was not implementing the non compete agreement not until 2009. With that said, the contract should be null void for the new Texas legislation. Please help...
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/10/2010
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

What is your question please?

I did read the information you provided, but what information do you want from me please?

How can I file for decleration of judgement agaist my previous employer? the document I signed in 2007, is it valid for 2010 if the legislation only implement the non compete in 2009?

A petition for declaratory judgment requires a lawsuit being filed in the local state court requesting that the court enter an order finding the agreement void. You would need at least an experienced paralegal to assist you through this process as it is not something you should expect to succeed with on your own.

Since you were just terminated, current laws would apply in interpreting/enforcing/invalidating the contract regardless of when you signed it.

Please let me know if you need clarification.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and cannot constitute legal advice. It is recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. I understand that you may be disappointed by the answer you received if it is not favorable to your situation. I work diligently to provide you with the correct answer under the law, whether it benefits you or not. Since I have no control over the development of the law, I ask you not to hold that against me. Please remember that I may not have critical facts concerning your situation unless you provide them to me. As always, I continue to be dedicated to providing you with professional and courteous service.

paralegal?

A paralegal is someone trained to assist attorneys. While they cannot provide legal advice, they usually have experience drafting and filing documents which could be a tremendous help.

The yellow pages should have listings of local paralegals.

All the best to you!

NOTE: Please remember that I do not get credited for my work until you press the "accept" button. Thanks again!