Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I quit a management position last June and the employer has…

Customer Question
I quit a management position...
I quit a management position last June and the employer has accused me of stealing but I was not charge with anything. Since then I applied for unemployment but became ill and missed the hearing. The employer stated first I quit and should not be entitled to benefits, then he sent paperwork in to the employment office claiming I stole documents from them. Part of my job was watching these budget for insurance renewal. I did not use any of their documents for personal gain nor did I sign a no compete clause. Do I have a case? To sue this employer and if so I need a lawyer? I have kept all copies of everything.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/10/2010
Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Ordinarily, you would have a case for defamation of character. However, under the unemployment compensation (UI) laws, no evidence in the record of a UI case can be used in any other legal proceeding.

Thus, unless you can show that the former employer made these allegations to some third party outside of the scope of the UI hearing, you cannot make your case, because you can't introduce the necessary evidence against the former employer.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

They sent copies to me plus the unemployment office, does this make a difference?

Unfortunately, no. You're not a third party. The employer would have had to have sent copies of the documents to someone like a prospective employer. However, if the documents sent were identical to those that were provided in the UI hearing, then those documents would sill be inadmissible in any other legal action.

Sorry, I know this is terribly frustrating, and a lot of people have complained about it over the years, for the same reason as yours, and for other reasons, such as the inability to hold the employer responsible for its sworn statements in other legal actions (especially related to unlawful discrimination).

But, I can't change the law. Every U.S. jurisdiction has the same UI provision, so apparently all of the state legislatures think it's a good idea in general.