Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I filed for unemployment the day after I was fired but have…

Customer Question
I filed for unemployment the...
I filed for unemployment the day after I was fired but have yet to hear back this was May 7th and it is now June 9th and it is impossible to get a hold of the unemployment office
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/9/2010
Employment Lawyer: LawTalk, Attorney replied 8 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Your best bet is to go down to your local unemployment office in person. You definitely should have heard something, or received your first unemployment benefit check so far. In person contact generally is more effective than a phone call---especially in the circumstance you are in.

As a general rule you receive your first check just 2 to 3 weeks after you file your claim. If you haven't tried this number yet, perhaps they can lead you in the right direction: 1-800-318-6022 Also, here is a website you can refer to:

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_unemployment_wa.html

I wish you the best in 2010.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Doug