Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I feel I am being discriminated by disabilities. Can you help…

Customer Question
I feel I am being...
I feel I am being discriminated by disabilities. Can you help me?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/9/2010
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

In order to assist you I am going to need a little bit more information from you. What is your specific disability and what accommodation did you ask for and temporarily have? What kind of work do you do? What kind of business is your company in? Did your company say why they would not accommodate you anymore? Is your main concern about the accommodation that has been denied or is there more to your discrimination allegation?
I am bipolar and have adult ADHD, given an extra 15 minutes to cash out my drawer early b/c I get flustered when rushed and have anxiety issues, especially when dealing with money. I work at Tracen Petaluma, CA at our exchange which is affliated with Coast Guard Exchange Systems, working as a retail salesman/ clerk. They did say why they wouldn't accomodate me, b/c I had improved my speed only b/c when I was able to do so I didn't feel rushed, flustered or rushed. There was also speculation from other co-workers that had said I was given special treatment as stated. I have spoken to a Human Resource Director at the Coast Guard headquaters ealier this morning, said he would speak with my GM to get her side of the story. I have an excellent rapport with her. This is my second time working for her at the exchange, they first time I had similar issues and got discouraged and fell into depression thus causing me to quit. The said place of business where I work has a high turnaround b/c of the workplace enviroment.