Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

i work at at small nursing home, all local people are employed…

Customer Question
i work at at small...
i work at at small nursing home, all local people are employed there beside the administrator and don. the don is very rude and has been harrasing me and every cna about they way they work. she does not want us to associate with each other at work, she wants abousutly no talking unless she is supervising. if she has a problem with you she will write you up until she has the right to termidate you. all the cna and nursing staff is scared to go to work because they dont want to lose their jobs. there are eleven witnesses on how she treats us. we have been documenting every remark she says and acts she has done within the last two months. we need her to go but she likes control and likes us being miserible. is there a way we can apply this and many more reasons as a hostile working enviorment
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/9/2010
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 8 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Do you believe that you are being discriminated against? If so, on what basis? (In other words, is it based on race, gender, or what?)

no none of that i have no idea why she is doing this but it is getting worse everyday and we have done nothing please help!!

Unfortunately, if you do not have an employment contract, you would be considered an at-will employee which means that the only rights you have, other than being paid for your work, is to not be discriminated against based on your membership in a protected class (age, race, gender, disability, national origin, etc). I asked if you felt that you were being discriminated against and you said no. Therefore, you cannot have a hostile work environment claim since a hostile work environment is based on discrimination.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
What do you believe was inaccurte about my answer?

the definitions of hostile work enviorment states- exits when an employee expirences workplace harassment and fears going to work because of the offensive, intimitidating, or oppressive atmosphere generated by the harrasser. that fits our don to a t

I'm not sure where you are getting that "definition " from but you are incorrect. Under employment law, which is based on Title VII of federal law, harassment is described as discrimination based on your membership in a protected class. You cannot legally have harassment without discrimination. Hence, my initial answer to you which was correct. I have been practicing law for 10 years and have represented many employees as well as employers and have won many trial cases and so I am pretty sure my answer is accurate. The Supreme Court has a list of cases in which they explain that general unpleasantness in the work environment is not discrimination/harassment under Title VII. It must be based on harassment that is primarily based on a discriminatory motive, i.e. your membership in a protected class.