Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My company just laid off 33 employees, I was not part of that…

Customer Question
My company just laid off...
My company just laid off 33 employees, I was not part of that but understand that my boss has been interviewing my replacement. So I'm thinking instead laying me off they are going to fire me at the end of the month - I head up a sales team and our sales haven't been good for the last couple of months. So does that mean I WONT be eligible for unemployment benefits at all?
Company is "deliware" but corproate office just moved from California to Colorado. We have an "at will" policy in place
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/8/2010
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello and thank you for your question. If you are let go and there are no performance problems or misconduct, you would qualify for unemployment benefits.

What qualifies as performance issues .

I also received JUST LAST quarter stock awards that they had out for important, employees with good performance. Will that help out my case?

I was also told on the phone verbally by our CEO that he and my boss have confidence in me that I can turn this around, but then several hours later my boss sent me a email saying the opposit and that the meeting we just had was disappointing and that the CEO doesn't have confidence in me. So the opposit of what was said to me verbally.

If you were not written up or warned about bad performance, you would not have that problem.
Given the award received, I definitely do not see cause for termination.