Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Hi- My husband is a license electrical contractor in NJ, with…

Customer Question
Hi- My husband is a license...
Hi-
My husband is a license electrical contractor in NJ, with a small business as a PART TIME JOB. He was laid off from his full job back in Oct. '09. Is there a way to do side jobs without it interfering with unemployment.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/8/2010
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer
Chat Conversation Started
Tina :

Thank you for contacting JA. Has your husband had a problem with collecting unemployment benefits? If so, what problem has he incurred?

Customer : no. But he just finished his first round of unemployment. He wants to do some work on the side because unemployment is just making ends meet. He works for a Union. It doesn't seem to be getting any better.
Customer : Is it possible to put the business 99% in my name and 1% in his name so that he could do the work?
Tina :

I see. In NJ, you can actually be self-employed and have income and still receive unemployment benefits unlike some states.

Tina :

Your husband could reduce his self-employment income by any expenses incurred due starting and running the business so he would need only to report his net income to the commission.

Customer : does that include pulling a permit to do jobs or will that effect his unemployment
Tina :

His benefits could be reduced by the amount of net income, but would not be terminated for simply being self-employed.

Tina :

What type of permit? What type of jobs?

Customer : he's an nj license electrical contractor. elelctrical
Customer : he was told that he can't do jobs with permits because he is collecting unemployment. He is not self employed. He is listed as employed by the Union. Business is a part time gig
Customer : is it wise for him to call an unemployment office and speak to someone and ask questions? Is there a certain amount that he has to make before he has to claim it
Tina :

I see. That is a different matter and his benefits WOULD be reduced by the amount of income he receives as an employee. He should be able to obtain permits while collecting unemployment though as that does not indicate that he has any certain income.

Tina :

It is hit and miss with the commission and I would not rely too heavily on what they say. No.

Tina :

He needs to claim any income as it is earned.

Customer : what are the chances of him getting taught because IRS and unemployment work very closely
Customer : so you are telling me that it isn't illegal to obtain permits and to jobs while collecting unemployment
Tina :

Right. The permit would not be any sort of proof of income. If he is employed as an employee, even part-time though, that WILL be reported to the unemployment commission.