Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Im a key holder for dollar general and coming to work the

Customer Question

I'm a key holder for dollar general and coming to work the other day I realized that the manager and a cashier had only completed three shelves of a new planogram, I was upset because the manager told me I had to finish the rest that night by myself. I gave my two week notice by telephone, nothing in writing. He then called me and told me that I could start opening in the mornings which is what I had been asking for and that another cashier's hours would be cut. I rethought the two week notice. Now he is telling me I have been replaced and not to finish the two weeks. Also, when I received my keys I was suppose to have received a raise which I have yet to see on my pay stub? Is the two week notice I gave valid and can he just tell me to leave?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, without some written contract to the contrary, you are an at will employee and the employer can terminate you for no reason or any reason that is not based solely on your age/race/sex/disability. Once you gave your two week notice, in whatever manner you gave it, the employer is not bound to allow you to retract that notice and the employer can also decide not to allow you to finish out the two weeks. A far as your raise, if you were entitled to the additional money and never received it, then for that money you can make a wage claim with the TN Department of Labor's wage and hour division.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

not satisfied and would like a refund of my 28 dollars, thats what the site said in good faith.

You are not satisfied because the law itself is not in your favor, but the experts cannot help what the law is. You asked for legal advice and you received the proper information under the laws of the State of TN. You are free not to accept, as per the terms of the site, but it is not because you did not receive a proper legal answer it is merely because you do not like the fact the law is not on your side and gives you no recourse other than filing for your wage claim and that is not the fault of the expert who answered your question.

If you want a refund, since the experts have no control over that, Please go to http://ww2.justanswer.com/help and customer service will assist you. Best of luck to you.