Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I recently quit my job due to health reasons (stress) directly

Customer Question
related to my job. I...
I recently quit my job due to health reasons (stress) directly related to my job. I was under a doctor's care at the time, and the Friday before I quit on Tues was sent to the Hospital from work and kept overnight and later on had a second heart cath. Can I collect unemployment based on these facts even though I quit work.I had worked there 30 years with no retirement and was offered no FMLA, and have no retirement.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/13/2010
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 7 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
In what way did your job cause you stress?

When you say that you were not "offered" FMLA, did you request time off at any point and did you tell them that you were sick?
I had been having problems with my nerves and blood pressure for a few weeks and one of the bosses knew this.It is a family owned small company owned by brother and sister who don't commnunicate with each other and that makes matters worse. The company is in financial trouble because of the economy and every job that came in she wanted out in a hurry so she could bill it. It is a printing co. The other girl and I sit across a table from each other as we work and she told us we couldn't talk while we worked. I felt like I was in first grade. I am 53 years old! I worked all week without a break or lunch and she told me she felt like she had given 250 percen and worked her _ss off and we hadn't done any production. I just walked off in tears. She made me so nervious I would just sit at the table and cry. My blood pressure would go up. The Friday morning I went to the hospital I got up not feeling well but I had been out of work so much already (I had also had the flu) I went on to work and had to have one of the girls in the office drive me to the ER, my blood pressure was 196/105. They kept me over night and ran tests and told me to go home take it easy and I was to have a heart cath in 3 weeks. I called Kay and told her I would try to work as much as I could before I had the cath done and her response was "you need to work". That's when I made my mind up I wasn't going back. She also told me when I had the flu I needed to Get my priorities straight. I know my health comes first. So here I am.
How many employees do they have?
About 25
Oh sorry, I see that you failed to answer my second question. I need to know the answer to that in order to give you an accurate answer. (The question about whether you requested time off before quitting)
No I didn't ask for any time off because I had been off so much already with having the flu and by blood pressure I was also taking time off without pay when we weren't busy to help them out so they wouldn't have to pay me to sit on the clock. She didn't offer any time off and after the comment 'you need to work' I didn't ask for any. We don't have FMLA to my knowledge...no one has ever used any and I forgot to mention we are a Union shop. We belong to the CWA but they pay our dues so we don't really see any benefit from it. It's just to get the union bug.
Because your employer has less than 50 employees, you would not have been eligible for FMLA. Therefore, since you quit voluntarily and were not fired, you will most likely be denied unemployment benefits since your reason for quitting is that your health prevented you from working. Since two requirements for receiving UI benefits are that you did not quit and that you are able to work, you will most likely be denied. However, UI benefit decisions are done on a case by case basis and if you are denied UI benefits, you are legally given the right to appeal that decisions.

Please let me know if this answers your question. If it does not, feel free to ask me for clarification. If it does answer your question, please remember to hit the ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for taking the time to research and respond to your questions.
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
MDLaw
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer