How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for 10 years
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my boss is a drug addict with wild and verbally abusive mood

Customer Question

my boss is a drug addict with wild and verbally abusive mood swings and recklace behavior. what can i do about this?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Report him to HR for counseling or to the owner. If no action is taken you can file a complaint for hostile work environment with the EEOC.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well the problem is that i work for a family owned bussiness and he is the owners son and he and most of the family use drugs but he is the one that has the wild mood swings and is dangerous and verbally abusive his family knows that he is a drug user and do not care... and what is the eeoc
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.

The Equal Opportunity Commission. Since you are in a family owned business situation you can just file your complaint. But you should still make one attempt to give notice of his behavior and the negative affect it has on employees to see if the owner will take some action.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have notified the owners which are his parents and it just makes situations worse is there anything else that i can do besides contacting the equa opportunity commision? because if it is just a complaint that they will file then it will only make the situation worse.
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
You could quit and just sue on your own for damages due to the stress or effects of his abuse.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i dont have money to afford a lawyer and it would be near impossable to prove it with his entire family willing to lie for him in court and cover for him it says that you are a un employment compensation attorny if i were to quit what are the chances and how hard would it be to be accepted for unemployment benefits well i search for another job
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
To win benefits you have to show that you quit for good cause connected with the work. Since there is a hostile work environment that the employer will not address you would have good cause and would be awarded benefits. Of course if they contest it, then it will be your word against theirs unless you have some evidence, like testimony of a coworker or other witness.
legaleagle and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok thank you