Employment Law

I was laid off at the end of August 2009. A few days before…

Customer Question
I was laid off at...
I was laid off at the end of August 2009. A few days before getting laid off (of course unbeknownst to me), I went for an MRI procedure. Mid-September, I received a letter from my prior carrier stating my insurance was terminated July 31, 2009. My previous employer did not notify me that I was not covered for August 2009. I am being held... Read full answer
I was laid off at the end of August 2009. A few days before getting laid off (of course unbeknownst to me), I went for an MRI procedure. Mid-September, I received a letter from my prior carrier stating my insurance was terminated July 31, 2009. My previous employer did not notify me that I was not covered for August 2009. I am being held responsible for this medical bill, but feel that I am not responsible for it because I was not notified of the insurance termination. I was also not able to join COBRA thereafter. I am from New York. What are my rights in this situation? Thank you.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Employment Law
3/25/2010
Employment Lawyer: MDLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 9 years ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Were you not eligible for COBRA or did you simply choose not to elect COBRA?
My previous employer stated I was not eligible for COBRA.
Unfortunately then, you are responsible for the medical bill. Had you been eligible for COBRA and elected it, the insurance would have been retroactive and covered the bill for that MRI. However, since you were not covered by insurance, you are responsible for the bill. Your best bet is to negotiate with the health provider to decrease the bill.

Please let me know if this answers your question. If it does not, feel free to ask me for clarification. If it does answer your question, please remember to hit the ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for taking the time to research and respond to your questions.

Although I wouldn't have gone for the procedure if I was properly notified by my previous employer, that in fact I was not covered for the month of August. My previous employer does not bare any responsibility at all?
Not if they were paying the premium for the insurance since I assume that you were not paying the premium (since if you had, you would have noticed that you had not paid for August's premium).
MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
You are correct, the company paid for the entire premium. If they weren't legally wrong, they were absolutely morally wrong... which is not illegal. Thank you for your time and assistance. I've accepted your answer. Best wishes.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My husband is a teacher in NYS. In mid- July, my husband
My husband is a teacher in NYS. In mid- July, my husband emailed his supervisor that he had accepted a teaching position in another school district. He didn't formally resign his position, but wanted … read more
I am currently on STD but have been notified that I will be
I am currently on STD but have been notified that I will be laid off at the end August 30th and all benefits will cease. I am not scheduled to return to work until September 30th. I was told by The Ha… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Insurance Law-COBRA My son was utilizing COBRA (never late
Insurance Law-COBRA My son was utilizing COBRA (never late with a payment) since June 2014. His previous company switched to a new insurance carrier June 2015. He had been on bank draft since June 201… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
Stop searching for answers—
HIPAA guaranteed-issue health insurance questions:Fact
HIPAA guaranteed-issue health insurance questions: Fact pattern (my insurance coverage): (2001) - August 12, 2009 -- Insurance through my employer August 13, 2009 - February 12, 2011 -- COBRA insuranc… read more
My employer did not send me any information on COBRA after
My employer did not send me any information on COBRA after I was laid-off on September 9th, 2011 and did not notify the insurance company so they continued to pay all my claims up until November 23rd … read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
If an employee is on an undefined length of a leave of absence
If an employee is on an undefined length of a leave of absence and has stopped communicating with me, can I just declare the leave of absence is ending and terminate him? I did inform the employee by … read more
Partner,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I was a Department of Defense contractor working in South Korea,
I was a Department of Defense contractor working in South Korea, employed to a company based in Bohemia (Long Island), NY. I was hired by my company in South Korea shortly after separating from US Air… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
My Cobra plan was terminated for a late payment past the 30
My Cobra plan was terminated for a late payment past the 30 day grace period. I reside in California. My payment was due by the 31st of July. I was traveling cross country during the time I usually ma… read more
Employment lawyer,
I have a question regarding the rules for notification of a
I have a question regarding the rules for notification of a disability occurrence to a COBRA health plan administrator. Specifically I am attempting to obtain a two-month extension of a COBRA plan whi… read more
Attorney at Law,
My son was working for my company and decided not to work for
My son was working for my company and decided not to work for me anymore he worked for me for 8 months at termination I agreed that I would pay for his insurance which included his wife and son. My bo… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Employment Lawyer,
i quit my job at the end of the day april 1,2010. I got a
i quit my job at the end of the day april 1,2010. I got a letter yesterday 4-29-10 from medical mutual telling me my insurace ceased on 3-31-10. i was still employed with them. since then i have seen … read more
Lawyer,
I WAS TERMINATED FROM MY JOB ON 1/8/10 AND MY EMPLOYER CANCELLED
I WAS TERMINATED FROM MY JOB ON 1/8/10 AND MY EMPLOYER CANCELLED MY MEDICAL INSURANCE THAT DAY WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME OR OFFERING COBRA OPTIONS. SINCE THE MEDICAL WAS TAKEN OUT OF MY PAY IN ADVANCE, SHO… read more
Anne
Anne
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
Hi, I was told the end of August that my position was being
Hi, I was told the end of August that my position was being eliminated in the next years budget. They are allowing me to stay on till 12/31/09. I had a meeting last night with an HR representative and… read more
Attorney,
Dear Sir or Madam, In October of 2008 I was put on disability.
Dear Sir or Madam, In October of 2008 I was put on disability. On March 1, 2009, my company laid me off. I was taken off disability on September 31, 2009. While I was on disability I had 2 surgeries. … read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
I no longer can work do to a disability and will not be cover
I no longer can work do to a disability and will not be cover under Medicare part B till January, 2011. Do I qaulify for a reducsion in Cobra Premium as I just qaulify for Cobra today. I have not work… read more
legaleagle
legaleagle
Attorney,
After 4 years working in a doctors office, having progressed
After 4 years working in a doctors office, having progressed to a front desk position which I held for over a yearwith no weekends required, I was demoted to a filing position which required working e… read more
Attorney,
With all the confusion surrounding the COBRA Stimulus Package
With all the confusion surrounding the COBRA Stimulus Package (65% employer payment) it took until April until the 3rd Party Administrators figured out how to handle the billing for our Guardian Denta… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
I was laid off from my job in 10-22-08. I have never been
I was laid off from my job in 10-22-08. I have never been offered the cobra ins. I did have ins thru my comany with Aetna. What is the law on this and what shoul I do. My insurance was cancelled by fo… read more