Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Is it legal to suspend someone from work without pay for 2

Customer Question
days, then stretch it out...
Is it legal to suspend someone from work without pay for 2 days, then stretch it out to five days and still refuse to tell the employee why they are suspended? The worker is a Reg. Nursing Asst at a nursing home.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Employment Law
2/27/2010
Employment Lawyer: JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer replied 7 years ago
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Generally, there is nothing which prevents an employer from suspending or terminating an "at will" employee. If illegal discrimination is involved, then the employee does have recourse. The employee may file a complaint with the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) by following the directions at: http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/howtofile.cfm

If the EEOC agrees, they will receive a "right to sue" letter. The employee may obtain attorney representation and file suit to recover your damages.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX unanswered is don't the employershave to tell them why?
I appreciate you patience. I will clarify.

You asked:

Is it legal to suspend someone from work without pay for 2 days, then stretch it out to five days and still refuse to tell the employee why they are suspended?

Answer: Yes. It is legal. The employer may take this action. The employer is not required to provide any basis or reason for the action.

While this may seem unfair, there is no fairness requirement. I hope this is clearer.

Thank you

JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Thank you very much. I will be using this service again, when the need arises. Great to know this is available.
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer