Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can my employer force me to travel When I was hired, I was

Customer Question
Can my employer force me...
Can my employer force me to travel? When I was hired, I was not told that this would be part of the job.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/24/2010
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Yes, your employer can make travel a required part of your continued employment with the company. If you have no contract of employment that says the terms of your employment can not change, then they can make such changes "at will." Under the Texas law (and actually most states), they can demote you, give you more work, take some of your wages away and make you travel....for no reason at all. This comes as a shock to most people (and me when I started in employment law), but it is the situation if you have no binding employment contract concerning your terms. If you do, then you can sue for breach of that contract.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer