Employment Law

I am starting a new job next week as CFO of a company. An…

Customer Question
I am starting a new...
I am starting a new job next week as CFO of a company. An offer has been extended and I accepted this week. The offer states I must be able to meet "work related physical and medical requirements", which were not defined in the offer other than to state I must be able to lift 30 lbs. per the job... Read full answer
I am starting a new job next week as CFO of a company. An offer has been extended and I accepted this week. The offer states I must be able to meet "work related physical and medical requirements", which were not defined in the offer other than to state I must be able to lift 30 lbs. per the job description.

Now the questions - I go in for the pre-employment "drug test, physical, and lift test" on Monday. My concern is the physical aspect of this statement - if they get all they need for drug testing from a urine sample and/or hair sample, are they allowed to draw blood and test for everything under the sun to check my medical condition in all ways possible??? Blood is much more revealing than urine and hair for other medical ailments (not that I think I have any). Wouldn't this be a potential violation of HIPAA? I don't see how this would be any different than asking a woman if she is pregnant during an interview.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Employment Law
12/3/2009
Employment Lawyer: wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer replied 9 years ago
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
they are allowed to ask for a blood test, and these tests are intrusive, however they are allowed, as the US Supreme court has stated. Illinois, also does not prohibit them from asking you to take the test. They would not be in violation of HIPAA as the employer is not a "covered entity". They may be in violation if they disclose the information, and the must keep it confidential.
So let's say they retract the offer 3 days after I take the test, and claim it is due to a failed drug test,, even though the reality is they don't like my cholesterol level...or some other bogus non-drug-related medical reason. Again, I have no known medical condition, but I will also be supervising HR and I want to get this understood next week.

As you stated your first answer, it seems the employer can discrimnate against an employee for medical reasons and the Supreme Court is OK with that? Since they control the tests and the lab, anything could happen. Can I demand that I get my drug tests back immediately? That way I can distinguish through the use of time (since they couldn't do all medical testing while I wait) the difference between a possible negative drug test result and a negative medical test relating to pre-existing conditions?
they could only rescind the offer if they found out you had some major disability that would not allow you to perform your functions as they stated lifting 30 pounds, also if you had some illness or disability they could not neccessarily terminate you as it may violate the ADA.
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
ok. thanks. I think if do end up taking a blood test (which I am OK submitting to because I am in good health), I will ask the CEO/owner what that objective of blood tests are for office personnel particularly. I personally believe it is not ethical when the urine and hair tests complete the objective, and it simply opens up windows for employees who are terminated later to claim the company learned something in the pre-employment screening that it didn't like, and that's the "true" reason they were terminated.

I'll accept your answer now.
I would not worry too much as they have become standard
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I'm an faa employee. I took a drug test back in July. Wasn't
I'm an faa employee. I took a drug test back in July. Wasn't able to provide a sufficient amount of urine. They called it a refusal. They put me right back to work as an air traffic controller for an … read more
My family was involved in a case with DFCS. and DFCS
Hello, my family was involved in a case with DFCS. and DFCS contacted my empolyer and informed them by violating my hippa rights and ultimately i lost my job behind all of this. Now I am struggling to… read more
JKEsq
JKEsq
Managing Firm Partner,
I had a 5 panel hair test performed and it came back
Second opinion] I had a 5 panel hair test performed and it came back positive for cocaine. I have not used that drug in many years and dont know how it was positive. I see a psychiatrist monthly where… read more
Sean K
Sean K
Attorney/Member,
Stop searching for answers—
I'm asked to attend a drug rehabilitation program because I
I'm asked to attend a drug rehabilitation program because I failed to produce a urine specimen in a specific time period. I did produce a specimen shortly after and the specimen was clean followed by … read more
Counselor at Law,
I was told I refused other testing by the company that adminster it by my manager which is
I was told I refused other testing by the company that adminster it by my manager which is untrue.I had 24 hrs to take test. I was admitted to hospital the next day before 24hrs was up… read more
Im a interstate truck driver, I renewed my medical certificate
Im a interstate truck driver, I renewed my medical certificate (DOT medical card) and passed all DOT regulations for health and got the card. My company FFE suspended my ability to drive for them beca… read more
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have applied for a job with CoreLogic and I have to sign
I have applied for a job with CoreLogic and I have to sign an Application Certification, Agreement and Release that states: "3. As part of the Company' employment procedures, an applicant may be requi… read more
Lawyer,
Im a Science graduate in Florida. Im interested in doing
I'm a Science graduate in Florida. I'm interested in doing a Medical Lab Tech course. The course has requested me to submit a statement of health. The health requirements are based on American disabil… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
Are employers required to tell applicants what type of pre-employment
Are employers required to tell applicants what type of pre-employment drug screening sample will be taken prior to their arrival at the testing facility? I need to know if it is a hair, blood, or urin… read more
I applied for a job at and was tested three seperate ways for
I applied for a job at and was tested three seperate ways for drugs. They did blood test, urine test, and a hair sample test. the blood and urine were ok. bt they took hair from my legs to perform a 9… read more
I was offered a job signed and contract. I was later told that I needed to give a hair sam
I was offered a job signed and contract. I was later told that I needed to give a hair sample for drug testing. One week after this I was told I needed to have pre-empoyment physical. At my physical t… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Employment Lawyer,
Can an employer fire you for a drug test that was done at a
Can an employer fire you for a drug test that was done at a hospital for medical purposes and showed that it was positive? Can they take that urine sample to another facility to have it tested even th… read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
Can you get fired if you cant do a random drug test beccause
Can you get fired if you can't do a random drug test beccause you cannot urinate? Especially if you offered to do a blood or hair test?… read more
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Took drug screen (urine sample) and passed. I have a physical,
Took drug screen (urine sample) and passed. I have a physical, they're going to take a blood sample to check for chicken pox and meseals immunization. My question is will they test for drugs in blood … read more
legaleagle
legaleagle
Attorney,
I had a job offer from a company. They told me to do a pre-employment
I had a job offer from a company. They told me to do a pre-employment drug test. The results came inconclusive. They told me that they are withdrawing the offer. What are my options?… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
If you cannot give a urine specimen for a drug screen and get
If you cannot give a urine specimen for a drug screen and get a physician note stating such then you are told the note is not acceptable to get a diagnosis from a physician stating you cannot give a u… read more
Len
Len
Attorney at Law,
i work for a union alloy foundry in west virginia,the company
i work for a union alloy foundry in west virginia,the company random drug tested employees against their will by holding their job over their heads if they refused to be tested.this test was not negot… read more
Litigation Attorney,
I have not signed a company policy consenting to drug ...
I have not signed a company policy consenting to drug testing. I work in the office not the shop & have never been asked to sign the policy. The policy also includes a pre employment test. Company cam… read more
BusinessDoc
BusinessDoc