Employment Law

Would a Kentucky employer be responsible for tortious interference…

Would a Kentucky employer be...
Would a Kentucky employer be responsible for tortious interference of contract if they hire an employee in violation of their former employers recruitment agreement?... Read full answer
Would a Kentucky employer be responsible for tortious interference of contract if they hire an employee in violation of their former employers recruitment agreement?
9/18/2009
LawTalk, Attorney
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Yes, not only the employee subject to a non-competition agreement can be sued by the former employer for violating that agreement, but the new company that they go to work for is typically sued as well for interference with prospective business advantage and injunctive relief.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug

FOR PAUL MJD - This question related to an initial question I had asked just a bit ago. PaulMJD gave a much more comprehensive response to the first question and I submitted the second question directly to him not Doug.

I am sorry Doug answered it, but it was not the person I directed the question to, and is not as thorough in fact as the first answer from PaulMJD. I would like PaulMJD to answer my second question as well, please.

I answered your question because you failed to specifically ask for Paul. This question was open to all the Experts in Employment law. And while my answer may not have been voluminous, it was correct in the application of Kentucky law.
No, I went to his link in his response and submitted it to him directly just below the words, Ask PaulMJD your employment law question. If that does not direct it to him then it needs to be corrected by JustAnswer.
I'll tell Paul that you are looking for him.
I am sorry for the confusion here, sometimes the customer request expire before we can get back to them. Your previous expert was correct in his explanation to you regarding the enforcement of non-compete agreements against a third party employer.

If the employee had an employment contract which they breached or had a non-compete agreement and the new employer knew of the agreement before they hired the employee, then the new employer would be liable for tortious interference with the contract.

If the employer did not know about the contract or non-compete before they hired the employee, then it is incumbent upon the new employer to take action and either terminate the employee immediately or seek to negotiate a waiver of the contract with the previous employer for some cash settlement. If the employer fails to take any action upon learning of the contract/non-compete, then they would be held liable for tortious interference with the contract, since the new employer is a third party who is interfering with the contract between employee and former employer.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I received the cease and desist letter about my current
second opinion] I received the cease and desist letter about my current employee from her previous employee. What would be my next action… read more
Adam Yarussi
Adam Yarussi
I own a staffing agency in SC. I had two employees quit last
I own a staffing agency in SC. I had two employees quit last week and go to work for one of my competitors. They have been calling my candidates and my clients trying to solicit business. Is this tort… read more
Lawyer,
I am in need of assistance with an employment law question.
Hello, I am in need of assistance with an employment law question. Here are the facts:- I am an independent contractor that has been working through a consulting firm over the past year. - The consult… read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
Former Accounting company/accountant providing services to
Former Accounting company/accountant providing services to my company, used knowledge gained during employment to solicit client of the company, as well as disclosed sensitive information about the co… read more
Employment Lawyer,
I was recently red job by an ecommerce company (call it
I was recently hired for a job by an ecommerce company (call it Company A) whose GM is a former employee of my most recent employer (company B) from which I resigned immediately after receiving the jo… read more
I have two issues Id like to seek legal advice about. I was
I have two issues I'd like to seek legal advice about. I was fired from a contract about 6 months ago. I was managed from a recruiting agency. The place where I was being contracted to, a well known c… read more
A.J.
A.J.
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I applied at Exelon Mobile to an open position over a year ago. I was called by the recrui
I applied at Exelon Mobile to an open position over a year ago. I was called by the recruiter and subsequently scheduled an on site interview at Exelon. After discovering the my boss's wife would be o… read more
Lawyer,
Do I have any potential liability if I hire a person who has
Do I have any potential liability if I hire a person who has a non compete contract with their former employer?… read more
The Saudi company recruiting me wants the No Objection Certificate
The Saudi company recruiting me wants the No Objection Certificate (NOC) from my former emplyoyer, before they can make me an offer and start processing me. My former employer laid me off, I was not f… read more
A.J.
A.J.
Attorney,
I have a NDA agreement with previous employer. They have sent
I have a NDA agreement with previous employer. They have sent a letter to my new employer alleging that I have broken the agreement. The tone of the letter is that "your new employee can not be truste… read more
Attorney,
In declining a job, can the company hold the individual responsible
In declining a job, can the company hold the individual responsible for expenses incurred prior to the rejection of the job? Expenses such as airline tickets, phone contract, that were pre-arranged pr… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I am considering leaving my current employer and starting an
I am considering leaving my current employer and starting an engineering business which may compete with my current employer. Am I at risk of being sued? If there's a legal restriction, how long do I … read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I have just started a new company. Several persons have come
I have just started a new company. Several persons have come to me from a previous company, a competitor. I just found out that they are still monitoring their old email accounts and receiving emails … read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I am in Louisiana. We own a hurricane shutter company. We
I am in Louisiana. We own a hurricane shutter company. We recently hired a man that was terminated from another hurricane shutter company which is about 15 miles away from our business. It has come to… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Hello - This relates to the statement below about New Employer
Hello - This relates to the statement below about New Employer Liability which I found in your feedback ... my boss wanted me to find a clause to add to our new hire NDA basically saying that the new … read more
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw
Attorney,
I am in Broward County, Florida. I had an employee whom signed
I am in Broward County, Florida. I had an employee whom signed a non-compete form. The employee quit and went to work for our direct competition. What is the exposure of the other company and for the … read more
Lawyer,
My former employer is monitoring my old work email address
My former employer is monitoring my old work email address and using my stored files and emails to gain a competitive advantage. He is using the information to interfere with current clients and read … read more
Lawyer,
I have recently left an employer where I signed an employment
I have recently left an employer where I signed an employment agreement containing a "non-interference with suppliers and clients" clause. I need to find out if the language can, in any way, be constr… read more
Attorney,