How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for 10 years
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does Montana have laws against Workplace Bullying

Resolved Question:

Does Montana have laws against "Workplace Bullying"?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
No there is no current law. There have been 2 attempts in the Montana Legislature to have a law passed but the bill has lost both times.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any suggestions for what I can do to get help/make it stop? What about worker's compensation laws?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
You should report it to your employer and if the employer fails to take action you can sue for workplace harassment. If you are injured then you can apply for worker's compensation.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I reported it to our HR department and they told my boss everything I said and then they both ganged up on me at a meeting and said that I was just being "too sensitive". I've look at the harrassement laws, and the way I understand the law, since I do not fall into one of the "protected classes", I can't sue??


I spoke to a worker's compensation lawyer and he said that being that the company I worked for is in another state, the case would be heard at a federal level, and it's been his experience that the federal court is not sympathetic to the worker and that the company would "eat me alive" with fabricated lies, etc., and ruin my reputation. I'm about ready to have nervous breakdown, but need my job for my health insurance until my cancer treatment is over.

Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
This is a very complicated situation. The hard part is proving the harassment and it is a he said/she said situation. Since you are not being harassed based on your age, sex, race, religion or nationality it is not a protected class and sueing would not work. Now if the employer is retaliating against you for something you did that was legal, ie whistle blowing, etc, then you can sue for the retaliation. Also a protected class is being disabled. So your cancer may qualify as a disability and if they are discriminating due to your illness you could sue. You can file a complaint the EEOC and let them investigate. You can not be fired for filing the complaint and if you are then you have a slam dunk wrongful termination case.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much! How do I contact the EEOC?
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
legaleagle and 4 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you