How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 57319
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal to terminate or lower pay on the spot with no

Resolved Question:

Is it legal to terminate or lower pay on the spot with no previous warnings of any kind? I've been the dental hygienist for the same dentist for 13 years now. That is until last week when I felt forced to quit due to personal reasons, even though he claims differently. He called me in the end of the work day, out of the blue, and said the quailty of my work has been inadequate lately and he has grounds to fire me for that but instead he'll just cut my pay by 20% an hour and check my patients at the end of each appointment like in school. This is after 13 years of dedicated, loyal service for him.
My patients have always loved me and I take extreme pride in my work. I have to say I am very good at what I do. There has never been a complaint of any sort ever.   A month ago the daughter of the dentist I've been working for completed hygiene school and began working full time in our office. And, a little more history, the dentist i've been working for is my ex-father in law. Mahalo
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.
Legally the employer can do as it has done, even if it is mistaken. The exception is that it cant do so based on race, gender, or age.   That does not stop you from seeking reinstatement.
Infolawyer and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no prior warnings or proof necessary for him to just all of sudden change things up?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.
That is correct.