Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am 3 months pregnant with twins, my employer cut my hours

Customer Question
to part-time (gave me less...
I am 3 months pregnant with twins, my employer cut my hours to part-time (gave me less than 24hour notice), took away my health benefits, refuse to pay me my vacation time, refuse to pay me my holiday pay and took away my commission 6 months ago. I have lost 40% of my pay due to cut hours and I have lost around $400 month in commission. My employer has known for over one year I have been trying to have a baby. I ended up having an anxiety attack at work the day I found all this out due to all this and ended up quitting less than one week later. I do have a dr. note saying I am capable of working with only lifting restrictions for now. Since I quit my job will I be able to draw unemployment. I feel as if none of this was my fault. I also feel as if any person in my shoes would have done the%2
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
7/19/2009
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
What state is this in?
Illinois
The Pregnancy Discrimination Act is an amendment to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Discrimination on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions constitutes unlawful sex discrimination under Title VII

If an employee is temporarily unable to perform her job due to pregnancy, the employer must treat her the same as any other temporarily disabled employee

If the employer so discriminates, the next step is to file a complaint with the eeoc. see www.eeoc.gov

I also feel as if it is pregnancy discrimination. They tried to tell me that this was due to hard times on their end. However I am the only one they did this too. My question is I want to apply for unemployment benefits and do the reasons for quitting fall under "good cause"? I dont know if you are even able to answer this.
if discriminated due to pregnancy, you can seek unemployment benefits and it would be an exception. Before resigning it is best letting the local unemployment office know the situation so there is a paper trail. You can also pursue severance via an eeoc complaint and by an employment lawyer reaching to the employer.
I actually did contact the local unemployment office the morning before I quit to see if I had good causes. However the lady told me she could not tell me what to do and what is right and what is wrong. I went on to tell her I was still capable of working and could get my dr. to write a note if he had to. All she told me was that "may" be helpful. And that once I file the claim they will prob contact me about my quitting. If you cant answer if I quit with good causes can you tell me where I may be able to find such information about quitting your job with good causes and unemployment?
If you resign because of such harassment you can apply and get benefits and also pursue the wrongful termination claim. The discrimination amounts to constructive termination.
Infolawyer, Lawyer