Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

can a termination be verbal without a written termination

Customer Question
letter...
can a termination be verbal without a written termination letter
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/11/2009
Employment Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
N Cal Attorney
Unless there is a contract that requires otherwise, a termination from employment can be verbal.

As George Carlin said, "Believe me in my life I've gotten fired a lot of times... you can tell. Never got any walking papers, never got a pink slip either."
N Cal Attorney
Relist: I still need help.
WHICH SECTION OF LAW DEALS WITH WRITTEN OR VERBAL TERMINATION
http://www.dol.gov/dolfaq/go-dol-faq.asp?faqid=328&faqsub=Termination&faqtop=Wages+%26+Work+Hours&topicid=1 states
Question: What notices must be given before an employee is terminated or laid off?

Answer: The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) has no requirements for notice to an employee prior to termination or lay-off.

I have not found any law in your state that requires any more notice than federal law.
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer