Employment Law

I am paid by the hour and for any hours over my 8 hr day my…

Customer Question
I am paid by the...
I am paid by the hour and for any hours over my 8 hr day my employer pays me OT.

If I worked around the clock and was on OT for 17 hrs straight into the next day where it would normaly be reg pay, should I paid as OT or drop back to reg rate when my normal shift would start?... Read full answer

If I worked around the clock and was on OT for 17 hrs straight into the next day where it would normaly be reg pay, should I paid as OT or drop back to reg rate when my normal shift would start?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Employment Law
6/10/2009
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 10 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
What state are you in?
Indiana
Once you begin your normal shift, the employer can revert back to your regular hourly rate.
you mean when I normaly start my day at 7:30 am i revert back to reg rate even though I am working straight thru with no break?that does not seem fair
legally overtime kicks in when an employee works more than 40 hours in a week so if you are working more than that you should claim it. If the employer is paying it for hours above 8 and there is no break, you can ask for overtime for the full period and seek to have the labor department deem it one shift and subject to overtime for the entire length less the first 8 hours.
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Vacation time and overtime discrepancy. Neither yet. I had a
neither yet. I had a scheduled vacation day on monday of last pay period. worked 32 regular hours, then did 11 OT hours on saturday. Payroll stated they will give my vacation day back to me and use 8 hours of OT as reg pay … read more
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy
Member,
Is it legal for an employer to have a clock reset time that
is it legal for an employer to have a clock reset time that resets the clock to strait time even tho you worked over 12 hrs and no longer get paid overtime? … read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
I get paid a salary of 80 hours + 18 hours OT. In doing my
I get paid a salary of 80 hours + 18 hours OT. In doing my vacation check I did my check as I normaly would and was told I did not get my 18 OT in my vacation pay I only get 40 hours. I kneed to know … read more
Stop searching for answers—
Can an employee work their day shift hours, once the shift
Can an employee work their day shift for 8 hours, once the shift has ended, punch back in and work second shift for another 5 hours at straight time.… read more
Attorney/Landlord/Realtor,
I work full time (40) hours as a receptionist in a cosmetic
I work full time (40) hours as a receptionist in a cosmetic surgery office. One or two nights a week I stay overnight to back up the nurse with patients in an emergency. I can sleep or read, I just ha… read more
JackJD
JackJD
I manage an urgent care in CA that is open 8 hours on Saturday.
I manage an urgent care in CA that is open 8 hours on Saturday. The Saturday staff consist of receptionist, medical assistant and physician. The employees have signed an agreement for an "on-duty" mea… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
If an employee works through midnight on until 6 am next day
If an employee works through midnight on until 6 am next day - do I pay through 24.00 hours and then the next day start again as regular time. His reg schedule is 6 am to 2:30 pm?… read more
My daughter was working for a Elderly Care Company. They have
My daughter was working for a Elderly Care Company. They have a few facilities in the Sacramento area and one residentail home where it's a live in care home for the patients. She was having problems … read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I work as a payroll assistant for a company that operates under
I work as a payroll assistant for a company that operates under ca wage order #1(manufacturing) and is also covered by a CBA. My question concernes OT. It is my understanding that with the exception o… read more
Attorney/Landlord/Realtor,
Can an employer demand that an employee be on call and carry
Can an employer demand that an employee be on call and carry a pager when the employee dose not want to and this was not a policy when the employee was hired… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
I work in Field Service in CA for a company based out of CT
I work in Field Service in CA for a company based out of CT and collect overtime. My question is in regard to how I am compensated for my oncall time. I am oncall one week a month roughly and I receiv… read more
Lawyer,
I work on an offshore platform and our shift is rotational.
I work on an offshore platform and our shift is rotational. The following scenario is regarding the night shift and for 7 days straight. The first 6 days is easy. However, the seventh day consists of … read more
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
CA- PT Employee- Recently started new job. 90 days are up at
CA- PT Employee- Recently started new job. 90 days are up at end of next month. I was hired part time to work 2 shifts, one 8hr & one 12hr and perhaps an extra one randomly here or there if a full tim… read more
Lawyer,
Hello, I have a contract stating my employer will pay
Hello, I have a contract stating my employer will pay me $34000 per year, but that I will have to work 50 hr. per week in order to get the $34000. I was getting the 50 hrs. per week for about 2 months… read more
Lawyer,
CA exemptions for overtime-specifically IWC 5-2001 regarding
CA exemptions for overtime-specifically IWC 5-2001 regarding collective bargaining agreements. My base hourly wage is $9.90 plus banquet service charges. The CBA states my OT rate as $13.25 for hrs wo… read more
Bernard King
Bernard King
I employed for Native American High School and non-excempt
I employed for Native American High School and non-excempt employee who is required to clock in & out. Does the employer have the right to set the clock back 5 minutes if I clock in at 7:55 am? Under … read more
Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq.
Managing Lawyer/Advocate,
I work for non-profit org, exempt position, coded 30 hrs per
I work for non-profit org, exempt position, coded 30 hrs per week; I frequently work extra shifts (voluntarily) on my day off; I am compensated straight time for this shift/hrs worked; w/ cost-cutting… read more
Lawyer,
Being non-exempt. And having a letter saying this is
Being non-exempt. And having a letter saying this is your hourly wage. Then the company goes to a compessed shift where you are working 36 hrs one week and then 48 hrs the next. Can they lower your ho… read more
BusinessDoc
BusinessDoc