How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After sending letter for demand for payment of wages owed,

Resolved Question:

After sending letter for demand for payment of wages owed, former employer filed attempted theft charges....... We sent the letter and stated that unless the wages, monies for permits pulled and 1099 & Federal Income Tax preparation were paid that the company would be turned into the Texas Workforce Commission, Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation and the Internal Revenue Service. KNJ is claiming that a loan was made with my husband. My husband and the owner's husband of KNJ had a verbal agreement that KNJ would pay for my husband to obtain his TDLR contractor's license and insurance, and allow KNJ to conduct business under his license.

When my husband was fired, we were going to just let it go and move on, because of the financial hardship this has caused, we decided to send a letter for demand of payment. My husband wanted to turn KNJ to the state for operating without proper licensing after he was fired. We try to live our life for the Lord and walk in his ways.......
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.


The way the letter is worded, it could be construed as extortion; ie, pay me to keep quiet or I will report you. You should send a follow-up letter indicating that the previous letter was written with the intent of collecting monies owed by the employer, including wages, and that given the employer's attempt to have criminal charges brought against you, you will be reporting the employer to the appropriate authorities for assistance in recovering the amounts you are owed.

Please let me know if you need additional information.


Best regards,




Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Thank You.

Tina and 3 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you