How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 9412
Experience:  Since 1983
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer hasnt paid me for 3 weeks and wont lay me off

This answer was rated:

My employer hasn't paid me for 3 weeks and wont lay me off so i can collect unemployment. It looks like they will file for bankruptcy. Can they legally keep me as an employee without laying me off and is it possible to collect unemployment if i leave without getting a penalty? Is it possible to collect the money they owe me if they do file chapter 7?
What State is this in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
South Carolina states
There are no State minimum wage and overtime laws in South Carolina. Federal regulations apply concerning labor laws. states
An employer who requires or permits an employee to work overtime is generally required to pay the employee premium pay for such overtime work. Employees covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) must receive overtime pay for hours worked in excess of 40 in a workweek of at least one and one-half times their regular rates of pay. The FLSA does not require overtime pay for work on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, or regular days of rest, unless overtime hours are worked on such days. is the form for filing a wage complaint. states
§41-10-40. (A) Every employer in the State shall pay all wages due in lawful
United States money or by negotiable warrant or check bearing even date with
the payday.
(B) An employer may deposit all wages due to the employee’s credit at a
financial institution which is doing business in the State and is insured by an
agency of the federal government. When an employee’s wages are paid by
deposit at a financial institution, he must be furnished a statement of earnings
and withholdings. Any wage deposit plan adopted by an employer shall entitle
each employee to at least one withdrawal for each deposit, free of any service
(C) An employer shall not withhold or divert any portion of an employee’s
wages unless the employer is required or permitted to do so by state or federal
law or the employer has given written notification to the employee of the amount
and terms of the deductions as required by subsection (A) of §41-10-30.
(D) Every employer in the State shall pay all wages due at the time and place
designated as required by subsection (A) of §41-10-30. is a directory of labor lawyers in your area.

It is illegal for them to not pay you as scheduled, but you need to have a local attorney go over the facts of your case.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thats very helpful but i would like to know if there is a time frame on which they can stay in buisness without paying employees before they have to file bankruptcy or does legal action have to be taken before so?
It would be better to file your claim before they file bankruptcy. If they do file bankruptcy, claims for wages are given a very high priority ahead of other creditors, but you need to discuss this with a local attorney. I can only answer questions, I cannot give you legal advice or act as your attorney.

It sounds like they may try to string you along as long as they can, and it sounds like they do not plan to pay. I would consult a local attorney immediately.
N Cal Attorney and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You.
If you have future questions please put "For N Cal Attorney" in the subject line and I will get your question from the website.

We are not allowed to have any contact with questioners other than through the website, so I am not allowed to give you my phone number. But the website will email me if you post a question directed to me.

Thank you for accepting my answer.