How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Scott Your Own Question
Joseph Scott
Joseph Scott, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 171
Experience:  I handled employment law cases as in-house counsel (550 employees) and as a private counsel.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Joseph Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can employers force employees to direct deposit their paycheck.

Resolved Question:

Can employers force employees to direct deposit their paycheck. California
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Joseph Scott replied 8 years ago.
Your question is a very good one. Federally, an employer cannot force an employee to accept their payments through direct deposit. Likewise, an employee cannot force an employer to pay them using direct deposit. In California, the laws are similar to the federal laws, wherein, an employer cannot force you to accept direct deposit pay. But, here's where it gets a little tricky. If an employee refuses direct deposit, a lot of employers are using "pay cards". A pay card is like a debit card where the employer pays the employee on a card and they can use it to pay bills. If the company issues pay cards instead of paper checks, the employee has no right to fight the pay card exception.

In short, your answer is no, the employer cannot force you to accept direct deposit. However, if you refuse direct deposit, the employer can pay you using a pay card instead of an actual check, and that is totally legal.

I hope that helps, if you have anymore questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

My best,

Joseph Scott

If you are satisfied with my answer, please click on "Accept" so I can get credit for answer.
Joseph Scott and 2 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you