Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer
Experience:  Worked with employment legal group in major national corp.
2911261

I was terminated from my job last month, and I feel I was wrongfully

I was terminated from my job last month, and I feel I was wrongfully terminated, How can I find out if i have a case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

What makes you think the termination was "wrongful"?

Did you have a union contract or a written contract of employment?

Did you company policies or manuals indicate that employees could only be fired for certain reasons?

What took place?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did not have a contract with the employer. What took place is that I was a credit manager for a distribution company. there was a company that was buying material from us that went out of business. They owed a lot of money from a federal job. when setting up the job I was given all the job information including who was writing the bond for the project. come to find out there was no bond in place and we now had to go after the owners of the company. This is when I was terminated for miss use of company assets.

DearCustomer

Was this a government job or was the employer a private employer?

Was one of your duties having to verify the authenticity of bonds?

What assets were misused?

Also,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It was a private contractor doing a federal job. One of my duties was to verify job information which includes bonding. At the start of the job my assistant called a verified bonding info from the agent, but when I called them back when the account went past due there was no bond. That is my question what assets were misused? No contract of employment was not part of a union. The manuals do not indicate one would be fired for a customer closing its doors and the company would be looking at a possible bad debt.

DearCustomer

Normally, when an employee works without a contract or employment or a union contract, they are considered an employee-at-will in the U.S. Employers can hire or fire employees-at-will at any time, for any reason, or for no reason at all (even if they have been good employees) at all with only a few exceptions. An exception occurs when the termination is for illegal reasons, such as discrimination due to race, religion, age, gender, etc. Another exception (and this depends on state law) is if the employer has indicated somehow to employees that they can only be fired for certain reasons. A final exception, which only a minority of states recognize, is that employees can only be fired if they violate certain work requirements. The view of the different states and employment at will in the different states is discussed here.