Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

My employer is going to document in writing an incident that

Customer Question
happened 3 months ago....
My employer is going to document in writing an incident that happened 3 months ago. Is this leagl and what are my rights?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/2/2009
Employment Lawyer: Tina, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Tina, Lawyer

Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

Please let me know what state you are in and some information about the nature of the incident.

I live and work in FL. The incident was that I had a gentleman on my golf course that I was unaware of seeking donations for Junior Golf. I am the head Golf Professional at this private club. The individual has sent me confirmation that he did not follow the proper channels that we set for him to be able to solicit these donations.

I see. The employer has the right to draft and enforce company policies and procedures and enforce them, as long as it is not done in a discriminatory or retaliatory way. So, your employers motives for doing this may be important.

If the employer previously did not know and had to reason to know of the incident, they can write it up when it comes to their attention. However, you don't have to agree with it if they ask you to sign something. If you are concerned for your job, you may want to seek out an employment law attorney in your area to communicate with your employer.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Best regards,

TK

The general manager was aware of the incident at the time it happened and we discussed it at that time and he stated the we were done with it at that point and now 3 months later he is going to document it in writing. Is this fair treatment?

No, it is not fair and raises the issue of potential discrimination or retaliation for something legal that you did; ie, asserted your rights or reported the employer. It could also signal that the company is looking for reasons to terminate your employment.

If I were in your shoes, I would seek out a local attorney to assist you in this matter so the employer knows that your legal rights are going to be fully protected.

Tina, Lawyer
Tina, Lawyer