How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118091
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


This answer was rated:

MY UNEMPLOYMENT IS BEING CONTESTED. I have been on it for 12 weeks now and I get papers from a lawyer saying they are contesting my unemployment. I got fired becuase I sent a western union transaction at my truck stop job and because it was over there 3000.00 daily send limit and the one customer had 2 send identities. I did not know there was a 3000.00 send limit. They only used this as an excuse to fire me because I weigh 610lbs and it was starting to bother my job abilities. I did all my duties I was supposed to, but they wanted more.
Well, if they can prove misconduct related to the job, then you would be denied the unemployment, so you would have to prove there was no misconduct or you were never informed of the rules that you were accused of violating. As far as your weight, since you would likely be considered morbidly obese and I am sure it impairs a major life function, you could possibly be covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act and you could allege you were terminated based upon your disability. I would suggest you not only get an attorney to fight the unemployment appeal, since if you are successful there is a good chance that they will award you attorneys fees as part of your award, but you should also file a complaint with the state commission on human/civil rights and the EEOC for discrimination under the ADA.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They are not gunna admit they fired me because of my weight. How would an attorney fight that. One time I was on the job and my boss said he was afraid I was gunna drop dead on the job and That cost would hit his botXXXXX XXXXXne.And many many more. I have no witnesses of any of this.. Do you have any suggestions on a lawyer I can get up hear. I have already called an lawyer for my attempt at SSI SSD and they denied to take my case. any suggestions on how to get a good lawyer to take what would be such a small case
There is never a smoking gun, so to speak, in these cases. The cases are build off of circumstantial evidence, comments that are made. As far as finding a lawyer, the best place to find one is by going to and looking for both a SS lawyer and an employment lawyer in your area and also call the state bar and ask about the lawyers in your area who can assist.

It really is not a small case if you can prove discrimination based upon your medical condition under the ADA. Additionally, attorneys to handle unemployment cases and SS cases generally will collect their fees from the agency or the employer so you should not have that hard of a time getting someone to represent you.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you