How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Experienced Attorney Your Own Question
Experienced Attorney
Experienced Attorney, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 404
Experience:  20 yrs+ employment law exp, answers/practical plans of attack/aggressive actions/evaluations
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Experienced Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a minimum amount of hours that a part time employee

Resolved Question:

Is there a minimum amount of hours that a part time employee can be reduced to work?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Experienced Attorney replied 8 years ago.

Hi - Thanks for your question.


Where is the job located? Are you under a union contract?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is no union contract and I work for Clark Shoes in Walnut Creek California
Expert:  Experienced Attorney replied 8 years ago.

We do not see any requirement for a minimum amount of work day hours for part-time workers in California. It could be that by giving you no hours, you have been constructively discharged and/or that the reduction in hours could entitle you to unemployment compensation benefits.


You can review CA wage laws here:


You can also call:


Worker Hotline (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>


Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE)
Local offices
Minimum wage hotline


Please consult a local attorney if you believe your wages have been underpaid or that your hours have been cut for an improper motive such as age, disability, gender, race, sexual orientation . . .


Feel free to send us follow up questions or information so that we can provide additional information.


Thanks for using Just Answer. We wish the law were more favorable to your situation.





Experienced Attorney and 4 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you