Employment Law

I have been actively seeking other employment for the past…

Customer Question
I have been actively seeking...
I have been actively seeking other employment for the past 3 months and would like to quit my job, my paychecks are inconsistent and late, and today I found out that my health insurance was cancelled 2 months ago and it has been deducted from my paycheck all this time. Can I quite and file for ... Read full answer
I have been actively seeking other employment for the past 3 months and would like to quit my job, my paychecks are inconsistent and late, and today I found out that my health insurance was cancelled 2 months ago and it has been deducted from my paycheck all this time. Can I quite and file for unemployment due to the circumstances?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Employment Law
12/18/2008
Employment Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 10 years ago
Roger, Lawyer
If you quit, you're leaving the job voluntarily, you may not be eligible for unemployment. Your eligibility depends on why you quit.

You may be eligible if you quit because of problems related to your job. These reasons may include:

Unsafe working conditions;

A job which is damaging to your health (with medical proof). The job must either cause your illness or make your medical condition worse;

A change in working conditions that is harmful to you. For example, you may be asked to work longer hours, take a reduction in pay, or have to do very different job duties.

Your employer broke your original contract. For example, your employer did not give you a pay increase that was promised in your contract.

You may NOT get unemployment compensation if you quit your job because of a health condition not caused by the job. For example, if you had a heart attack off the job that prevents you from doing your job, you may be unable to get unemployment benefits.

Good cause does NOT include quitting because you did not like being criticized by your employer (except where there is an excessive pattern of verbal abuse that a responsible person would find offensive), quitting because you did not get a raise you asked for but had not been promised, or quitting because you lost child care for your children.

It is possible that under your circumstances, you would still qualify even though you quit.

Your best option is to file for benefits and see what happens. The worst thing is that you'll be denied. However, you don't know until you apply.

I have taken 3 paycuts since I started this job 2 years ago. Does that increase my chances of collecting unemployement if I quite?

I think so. Anything you can point to that shows you left more out of necessity than just making the decision without cause helps your position.
Is there any way to find out for sure before I quite? I don't want to be without a paycheck (even if it is less and late) and no unemployment either. I can't afford to quite and take my chances
Your best bet is to contact your state's unemployment office and just ask.
Ok, thanks
No problem.
Roger, Lawyer
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My daughter quit her job this past Thursday afternoon and
My daughter quit her job this past Thursday afternoon and her direct deposit check that was deposited on Friday morning was reversed later in the day by the employer. It was payment for her work for t… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I live in massachusetts and have actively been looking for
I live in massachusetts and have actively been looking for another job because by current job is sending me to a therapist who is aware that my anxiety is through the roof due to my job. I have tried … read more
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
Juris Doctor (JD)
I have been on unemployment in California for the last year.
I have been on unemployment in California for the last year. I lost my job as a stock broker and receive the max amount of benefits: 450 a week. I recently started working part time at a restaurant wa… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
Stop searching for answers—
Re. - Cover letter outlining the terms of my separation of
Re. - Cover letter outlining the terms of my separation of employment I am trying to figure out what this paragraph (3.C) below means? 1.) Does it mean that they will stop paying my severance if I get… read more
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow
Attorney and Counselor at Law,
Doctor of Jurisprudence
The law firm that I work for started my health insurance coverage
The law firm that I work for started my health insurance coverage with BCBS on 5/1/12. On 5/10/12, I informed my workplace that I was resigning, and that my last day with the firm would be 5/18/12. Th… read more
Legalease
Legalease
Attorney At Law,
Doctor of Law w/ highest honors
I just found out that my employer (an attorney) has not filed
I just found out that my employer (an attorney) has not filed wage information with the State since I started working for him 5 years ago. Am I entitled to file Unemployment or seek any other form of … read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I had to terminate my employment with my company after their
I had to terminate my employment with my company after their failure to provide me a paycheck for the last 3 payrolls on a timely basis. The paycheck right before Christmas was 6 days late and then I … read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
This is with respect to an Illinois employment situation.
This is with respect to an Illinois employment situation. My husband quit his job 3 weeks ago, and is paid both a small salary and commissions. His former employer is now withholding my husband's payc… read more
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, BSBA
can my employer make me pay for health insurance premiumns
can my employer make me pay for health insurance premiumns after being on comp for 3 1/2months, without ever asking me if i wanted to continue coverage until now?… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
My current employer has had my health insurance premiums deducted
My current employer has had my health insurance premiums deducted from my paycheck. However, I found out today 1/18/2011 that as of 12/1/2010 the policy had been cancelled, and the preimiums have cont… read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
A neighbor of mine called really in distress and was telling
A neighbor of mine called really in distress and was telling me that her last payroll check had bounced. So there for she had written checks that bounced and now has a really bad mess going on. She sa… read more
Lawyer,
Currently work for a Cardiologist who has not paid on my insurance
Currently work for a Cardiologist who has not paid on my insurance premium for the month of November. I received a letter from the insurance company stating my insurance has been termed. This is very … read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I quit my job. Last day was June 4. My company charged me
I quit my job. Last day was June 4. My company charged me for the cost of my insurance for the month of June. I did not have to pay for benefits before this. Is that legal? What recourse do I have?… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I am currently employed. My supervisor quit, 6 months, and
I am currently employed. My supervisor quit, 6 months, and I have been doing his work along with mine. When I asked my employer, if they were going to replace him, I was told 'no.' Since then, I have … read more
Attorney/Landlord/Realtor,
Can employer deduct from final paycheck health insurance deductions
Can employer deduct from final paycheck health insurance deductions for the full month, instead of the normal paycheck deductions? Employee was laid off… read more
Colorado Employment Attorney
Colorado Employment Attorney
my health insurance plan at work is going to get more expensive
my health insurance plan at work is going to get more expensive July1. We get the opportunity to sign up for insurance each year (during november), for coverage going from january 1 through december 3… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I was hired to work for a health system in Oct. the day after
I was hired to work for a health system in Oct. the day after I went downa nd signed my contract I found out I had cancer and needed imediate surgery. I offered to cancel the contract and let them off… read more
Counselor
Counselor
Hello I work in california and am having some issues with ...
Hello I work in california and am having some issues with quiting my job and my final paycheck. I gave my notice that I was quitting on 01/11/08 and my last day was 01/15/08. They gave me my final pay… read more
Paralegal Bill
Paralegal Bill