How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 56560
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Claims on Unemployment Benefits - Overpayment Pay back issues

Customer Question

Claims on Unemployment Benefits - Overpayment Pay back issues and denied of unemployment benefits
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.
what is your question?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Received an overpayment notice in very detail - Total Amount Due + Overpayment Amount + Penalty Amount and it requires for me to appeal in 20 days. My extension claim for unemployment for the period of 9/08 -9/09 was denied. I had been unemployed for more than a year now. I had posted my resume everywhere still haven't receive no offers. I am unmarried woman with no health insurance, dental nor vision insurance and need desperately for help. I have no means to pay this debt and if you can help me make a letter of appeal to EDD to forgive this assessed overpayment money. I need a cataract surgery and thyroid surgery and everything is all on hold because I don't have no insurance at all and this issue of overpayment issue is a big burden on my part and have no means to pay it back. The notice was so harsh -quote " You are liable to repay this overpayment. Failure to do so may result in legal action". Please help!

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.

You should retain local counsel to draft the letter or seek pro bono assignment from the local bar association or the court.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

What is your opinion if I send the reasons above as part of my appeal? Will they accept it and approve my request?

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.
You can and you should. it may reduce or remove the penalty but if there was an overpayment, it should be returned.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How can I pay them back for overpayment? I don't have any job and they denied me of my extension claims.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.
If you got an overpayment, and dont have the money, you should offer to enter a payment plan to repay due to your financial situation.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

So what your saying they won't forgive me for the overpayment and won't accept my appeal for the extension claim?

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.
They wont forgive it but may extend the time if they are convinced you dont have the means to pay it but are acting in good faith to do so. Please accept my answer.
Infolawyer and 5 other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 years ago.
You are welcome and good luck